Home >> Salsas and Dips >>
Oaxacan Pasilla Pepper
Don’t get confused because we are going to explain you some very rare
concepts. This salsa
is prepared with the Oaxacan pasilla pepper but be very careful because it is not the pasilla pepper that we all know. The Oaxacan pasilla pepper is the mixe pepper – a chili that is sown by the indigenous peasants in the Sierra Alta Mixe and it can only be found in the markets of Oaxaca and sometimes in Puebla.
*All the confusion is generated because in Oaxaca the mixe pepper is known as Oaxacan pasilla pepper. The good thing is that you already understand these concepts so you won’t make mistakes at the moment of preparing the recipe.
In fact the mixe pepper is a very interesting and delicious chili
... if you ever find it don’t miss the opportunity of buying it and make Oaxacan recipes with it. It is mainly used to make salsas, pickles or even to stuff them (the ones that have a larger size).
In this recipe we are going to use it to prepare an exquisite salsa with a very spicy touch, light smoky notes and a persistent flavor
. This salsa of Oaxacan pasilla pepper serves us to accompany grilled steaks
or even to season a broth
or a soup.
About the Recipe
- The only difficult part of the preparation is roasting, therefore is a very easy salsa to make.
- It is very difficult to get the mixe peppers to make the salsa therefore substitute them for 2 mora peppers or 3 morita peppers.
- If you have the opportunity prepare the salsa in molcajete because it will acquire an exceptional flavor and texture.
- About 10 minutes are needed to prepare the salsa.
- With this recipe 1½ cups of salsa will be obtained.
3 Mixe Peppers (.5 oz)
6 Tomatillos (10.5 oz)
4 Garlic cloves (.5 oz)
1/2 tablespoon of Salt
1 Cutting Board
1 Kitchen Spoon
Cook the Tomatillos
- Put in a saucepan:
- 6 Tomatillos.
- The enough Water to cover the tomatillos.
- Bring the saucepan water to a boil over high heat.
- Leave the tomatillos cooking in the boiling water for about 5 minutes, until they turn to a lighter color.
||Don’t cook the tomatillos for a long time because its skin breaks and its flavor becomes bitter and very unpleasant.
- Transfer from the saucepan to a blender, with a kitchen spoon, the tomatillos that were cooked; then reserve.
Roast and Blend
- Remove the veins and the seeds of 3 mixe peppers.
- Put on a griddle over medium heat:
- The 3 Mixe Peppers with the ones you worked.
- 4 Garlic cloves.
- Roast the garlics for approximately 1 minute and the chilies for approximately 1½ minutes, until all their sides are moderately roasted; move them regularly with some tongs.
- Transfer from the griddle to the blender, with the tongs, the chilies and the garlics that were roasted.
- Also add in the blender:
- 3 tablespoons of Water.
- 1/2 tablespoon of Salt.
- Blend very well the ingredients.
The Oaxacan Pasilla Pepper
how to prepare the pasilla pepper salsa as it is made in Michoacan.
Did you like the Oaxacan Salsa?
✢ Blue Tortilla
✢ Horchata Water
✢ Pineapple Creamy Dressing
✢ Mexican Spaghetti