lots of flavor
Everybody knows the different Italian versions of the spaghetti. There is the spaghetti Bolognese, buttered, al pesto, with tomato sauce , carbonara, etc. But the Mexican version... that one almost nobody knows it...
As it can be expected the Mexican spaghetti is spicy , since it is cooked in a very special red salsa that has a smoky and elaborated flavor. As garnish guajillo pepper slices are put on the spaghetti, that make it look and feel very Mexican.
This spaghetti is normally served as entree plate although it can also be served accompanied of a mixed salad or some succulent garlic shrimps.
About the Recipe
- This recipe may look complicated because there are many steps to follow. Although the reality is that all the procedure is easy to perform.
- The salsa that is used in this spaghetti is prepared with chipotle pepper in adobo and it can be bought canned or you can also prepare it with us.
- In this recipe coriander and thyme is used; which we recommend to use them fresh so your dish will have the best seasoning.
- Preparation time .
- The recipe serves 4 portions.
DirectionsFry the Guajillo Pepper
- Remove the seeds of 1 guajillo pepper.
- Slice the guajillo pepper with the one you worked, then reserve.
- Heat in a frying pan over medium heat 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Put in the frying pan the guajillo pepper slices that were cut and fry them for approximately 1 minute, until they are lightly fried; stir regularly. Then set aside.
|Don’t fry the chili for a long time because its flavor becomes bitter.|
Prepare the Salsa
- Put on a griddle over medium heat:
- 5 Tomatoes.
- 1/4 of an Onion.
- 1½ Garlic cloves.
- Roast the garlics for approximately 1 minute, the onion for about 2 minutes and the tomatoes for about 5 minutes, until all their sides are moderately roasted; move them regularly with some tongs.
- Transfer from the griddle to a blender, with the tongs, all the ingredients that were roasted.
- Also add in the blender:
- 1 Chipotle Pepper in Adobo.
- 1 Thyme sprig.
- Pepper to taste.
- Blend very well the ingredients and reserve.
- Finely chop 6 coriander sprigs, then set aside.
- Heat in a saucepan over medium heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Pour in the saucepan the salsa that was blended and cook it for about 3 minutes, until the salsa thickens a little and acquires a more intense red color; stir regularly. Then set aside.
- Put in another saucepan the enough amount of water to cover 14.1 oz of spaghetti and bring it to a boil over high heat.
- When it boils incorporate in the saucepan:
- 14.1 oz of Spaghetti.
- 1/2 tablespoon of Salt.
- Cook the spaghetti in the boiling water for about 7 minutes, until its consistency is soft on the outside and firm in the center; stir occasionally.
- Transfer from the saucepan to a colander the spaghetti that was cooked and drain the water excess.
Cook the Mexican Spaghetti
- Transfer from the colander to the saucepan (where the salsa is) the spaghetti that was cooked.
- Also incorporate in the saucepan, along with the other ingredients:
- The Coriander that was minced.
- 1/4 tablespoon of Salt.
- Mix very well the saucepan ingredients.
- Fry over medium heat the Mexican spaghetti for about 3 minutes, until the salsa thickens; stir regularly.
- Serve the Mexican spaghetti and put to it:
- Grated Parmesan Cheese to taste.
- Some slices of the Guajillo Pepper that was fried.
A Mexican Spaghetti
Tip: Don’t forget to accompany the Mexican spaghetti with bread – it is a delight.
Recommendation: Transform this dish into a main course with some devil shrimps or with some shrimp brochettes with achiote. You will love this combination!
Did you like the Spaghetti?
✺ Finish this meal with a Mexican dessert.
✺ You will need a Mexican drink.
✺ Check what you want to have for breakfast tomorrow.