Home >> Salsas and Dips >>
Pumpkin Seed Salsa
an incredible texture
The pumpkin seed forms an important part of the Mexican gastronomy since it contributes significantly in the preparation of pipianes and some typical Yucatecan dishes like the papadzul.
To make the pumpkin seed salsa few ingredients are required and a soft, spicy and creamy salsa is generated. Although the best part of the salsa is its grainy texture that makes of each mouthful that it accompanies a sensation . In the preparation coriander is also used to give a lot of freshness to the salsa. It is perfect to accompany a dish with chicken or fish ; which can be served fried, cooked or grilled.
About the Recipe
- In this preparation some ingredients will be roasted and then everything is blended. It is definitely a salsa that has a simple preparation.
- The pumpkin seeds must not have shell nor salt.
- 10 minutes are more than enough to prepare the salsa.
- The recipe yields 2 cups.
DirectionsRoast Many Ingredients
- Put in a frying pan over low heat 1 cup of pumpkin seeds and roast them for about 2 minutes, until they are lightly roasted; stir regularly.
|The pumpkin seeds are roasted to intensify their flavor.|
- Transfer from the frying pan to a blender the pumpkin seeds that were roasted, then reserve.
- Put on a griddle over medium heat:
- 3 Serrano Peppers.
- 1/4 of an Onion
|If you want to reduce the hotness of the salsa you can remove the veins and the seeds of the serrano peppers.|
- Roast the griddle ingredients for about 2 minutes, until all the sides of the chilies are lightly roasted and all the sides of the onion are moderately roasted; move them regularly with some tongs.
- Transfer from the griddle to the blender, with the tongs, the ingredients that were roasted; then set aside.
Blend the Ingredients
- Finely chop 2 coriander sprigs and reserve.
- Put in the blender, along with the other ingredients:
- 1 cup of Mexican Cream.
- Pepper to taste.
- 1/2 tablespoon of Salt.
- Blend very well the ingredients.
- Pour in a bowl the mixture that was blended and add the coriander that was minced.
Soft, Spicy and Grainy
* It is not a good idea to keep this salsa for more than 2 days.
Recommendation: Try another salsa that is prepared with pumpkin seeds, the Ha’ Sikil P’ak.
Did you like the Pumpkin Seeds Salsa?
Dishes with Chicken and Fish
✹ Chicken Adobo
✹ Fried Chicken Tacos
✹ School Shark Bread
✹ Chicken Burrito