Home >> Salsas and Dips >>
Red Salsa from
The gastronomy of Guerrero has been influenced
by many cultures and thanks to this fact many recipes have been developed based on what has been learned from such cultures. That is the case of this red salsa, that unlike the traditional red salsa
, various spices
are incorporated in the preparation that fill the salsa of aromas and flavors.
This variation of the red salsa is very elaborated
because many ingredients are used in its preparation it is also spicy and you will always be able to perceive a pleasant freshness.
The applications that the red salsa from Guerrero has are several. It can be used at breakfast
time in some scrambled eggs with chorizo
you could also spice up some tasty enchiladas
or enjoy it in a dish that has pork
tenderloin. These are just some options and don’t forget that it can also give an unmatchable flavor to many Mexican appetizers.
About the Recipe
- To make this salsa you have to follow many steps, it is a bit complicated but not that much.
- The salsa is very spicy because 4 arbol peppers are used, if you prefer a moderate hotness just use 2 chilies.
- You will need 25 minutes to make the salsa.
- We give the recipe for 3 cups.
4 Arbol Peppers (.7 oz)
4 Tomatillos (7 oz)
3 Guajillo Peppers (1 oz)
2 Tomatoes (14.1 oz)
1/4 of an Onion (1.2 oz)
2 Garlic cloves with skin (.2 oz)
1 Bay Leaf
1/2 teaspoon of Cumin
1/2 teaspoon of Oregano
2 tablespoons of Olive Oil
Pepper to taste
1/2 tablespoon of Salt
1 Cutting Board
Roast Many Ingredients
- Remove the veins and the seeds of 3 guajillo peppers.
- Put on a griddle over medium heat:
- The Guajillo Peppers with the ones you worked.
- 4 Arbol Peppers.
- 2 Garlic cloves with skin.
- Roast the arbol peppers for approximately 1 minute, the garlics for about 2 minutes and the guajillo peppers for about 3 minutes, until all their sides are moderately roasted; move them regularly with some tongs.
||Don’t roast the chilies for a long time because their flavor becomes bitter.
Perform More Activities
- Transfer from the griddle to a blender, with the tongs, the arbol peppers that were roasted; then reserve.
- Transfer from the griddle to a saucepan, with the tongs, the guajillo peppers that were roasted; then reserve.
- Remove from the griddle the garlic cloves and wait for them to cool a little.
- Peel the garlic cloves that were roasted, then put them in the blender and reserve.
- Cover with boiling water the guajillo peppers that were put in the saucepan and leave them soaking for about 5 minutes, until they are soft.
- Transfer from the saucepan to the blender, with the tongs, the guajillo peppers that were roasted; then set aside.
- Put on the griddle over medium heat:
- 4 Tomatillos.
- 2 Tomatoes.
- 1/4 of an Onion.
- Roast the tomatillos for about 3 minutes and the tomatoes and the onion for about 5 minutes, until all their sides are well roasted; move them regularly with the tongs.
- Transfer from the griddle to the blender, with the tongs, all the ingredients that were roasted.
Blend and Cook
- Also add in the blender:
- Blend very well the ingredients and reserve.
- Heat in the saucepan over medium heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Add in the saucepan:
- The Mixture that was blended.
- 1/2 tablespoon of Salt.
- Mix the saucepan ingredients and wait for the red salsa from Guerrero to boil.
- When the red salsa from Guerrero boils reduce to low heat and cook it for about 5 minutes, until it thickens a little and acquires a more intense color; stir occasionally.
Flavors from Guerrero
The state of Guerrero also has its own mole version
Did you like the Salsa from Guerrero?
✎ Peasant Rice
✎ Pot Beans
✎ Huitlacoche Quesadilla
✎ Melted Cheese with Mushrooms
✎ Chicken Tostada