Home >> Salsas and Dips >>
We are aware that when someone thinks in the word “enchiladas", many types of salsas that cover the enchiladas are imagined... then it sounds a bit strange to have a fixed recipe for enchiladas...
The reality is that although the enchiladas can be covered with an infinity of salsas a point can be reached in which you no longer know which salsa to use. When that point is reached go to this salsa. It consists of a basic red salsa for enchiladas that gives a perfect flavor to the enchiladas regardless with what they are filled.
This salsa has to be used while the enchiladas are prepared because in the preparation the tortillas are submerged in the salsa for enchiladas before they are filled.
About the Recipe
- In this recipe you are going to work a little but nothing is hard to do.
- The salsa for enchiladas is prepared with ancho peppers and we recommend buying the ones that are large and flexible because those are the ones that have better flavor.
- In the preparation peppercorns are used and don’t substitute them for ground pepper because it has less flavor.
- 15 minutes are enough to prepare the salsa.
- The recipe yields 2 cups.
DirectionsWork with the Chilies
- Discard the veins and the seeds of 3 ancho peppers.
|It is very important to remove the veins and the seeds of the chilies so the salsa has a soft texture.|
- Put on a griddle over medium heat the ancho peppers with the ones you worked and roast them for about 2 minutes, until all their sides are lightly roasted; move them regularly with some tongs.
- Transfer from the griddle to a bowl, with the tongs, the ancho peppers that were roasted.
- Cover the ancho peppers that were put on the bowl with boiling water.
- Leave the ancho peppers that were put in the bowl soaking for about 5 minutes, until they are soft.
While the Chilies are Ready...
- Finely chop 1 onion and reserve.
- Verify that the ancho peppers that were left soaking are soft, if not leave them soaking for a longer time.
- Transfer from the bowl to a blender, with the tongs, the ancho peppers that were soaked.
- Also add in the blender:
- 6 Tomatoes.
- 1 Garlic clove.
- 5 Black Peppercorns.
- Blend very well the ingredients and reserve.
Cook the Salsa
- Heat in a saucepan over medium heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Incorporate in the saucepan the onion that was minced and fry it for approximately 1 minute, until it looks a bit transparent; stir regularly.
- Add in the saucepan:
- The Mixture that was blended.
- 1/2 tablespoon of Salt.
- Mix very well the saucepan ingredients.
- Cook the salsa for enchiladas for about 5 minutes, until it thickens a little and acquires an intense red color; stir occasionally.
A Basic Recipe
Recommendation: If you want to enjoy again the ancho pepper in another recipe, you have to prepare the pickled ancho peppers.
Did you like the Salsa for Enchiladas?
☾ Green Enchiladas with Ground Beef
☾ Red Enchiladas with Chicken
☾ Green Enchiladas with Pork
☾ Red Enchiladas with Cottage Cheese
☾ Green Enchiladas with Melted Cheese