Home >> Vegetarian >>
with Melted Cheese
All the world likes the quesadillas ... now imagine the quesadillas covered with salsa and garnished with a kind of salad. That’s what these enchiladas consist of, a true delight, where the quesadillas’ flavor is enhanced to the max .
The enchiladas are a very abundant main course, which can be served plain or if you want to add a garnish you can put a delicious zucchini and corn salad , some traditional refried beans or the popular Mexican rice.
About the Recipe
- Making the enchiladas is not that difficult but not that easy, only several steps have to be followed that you will be able to perform.
- For this recipe a cheese that melts is needed. We recommend the Oaxaca cheese, the Manchego cheese or the Chihuahua cheese.
- Prepare the enchiladas with corn tortillas made by you.
- Don’t use olive oil in this recipe because it is not good for frying tortillas.
- The preparation time is of .
- Recipe for 10 enchiladas.
DirectionsPrepare a Green Salsa
- Put in a saucepan:
- 10 Tomatillos.
- 2 Serrano Peppers.
- The enough Water to cover all the ingredients.
- Bring the saucepan water to a boil over high heat.
- Leave the saucepan ingredients cooking in the boiling water for about 5 minutes, until the tomatillos turn to a lighter color.
|Don’t cook the tomatillos for a long time, because its skin breaks and its flavor becomes bitter.|
- Transfer from the saucepan to a blender, with a kitchen spoon, the tomatillos and the serrano peppers that were cooked.
- Also add in the blender:
- 1/4 of an Onion (1.2 oz).
- 1 Garlic clove.
- Pepper to taste.
- Blend very well the ingredients, then set aside.
Cook the Green Salsa
- Heat in the saucepan over medium heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Pour in the saucepan:
- The Green Salsa that was blended.
- 1/2 tablespoon of Salt.
- Mix the saucepan ingredients and bring the salsa to a boil over high heat.
- When the salsa boils reduce to medium heat and cook it for about 4 minutes, until it thickens a little and acquires a more intense color; stir occasionally. Then set aside.
Fry the Tortillas
- Pour in a frying pan approximately 1 cup of vegetable oil, so you end up having about a 1/2’’ deep oil layer.
- Heat the frying pan oil over high heat.
- Take 1 maize tortilla with some tongs, dip it in the frying pan oil and fry it for about 7 seconds per each side, until it is lightly fried.
|Don’t fry the tortilla for a long time because it will become tostada and it will no longer be useful ☹|
- Transfer from the frying pan to some paper towels, with the tongs, the tortilla that was fried so it dries and the fat excess is absorbed; then reserve.
- Repeat the same procedure with 9 more tortillas, it won’t be necessary to add more vegetable oil in the frying pan.
|All this procedure is done so the tortillas have more flavor.|
Cut some Ingredients
- Cut into strips 1/4 of a lettuce and 1.1 lbs of cheese that melts; then set aside.
- Finely chop 1/2 onion (2.5 oz) and 2 coriander sprigs; then reserve.
Perform some Activities
- Heat over medium heat the green salsa that was cooked for about 2 minutes, until it is very hot.
- Take with the tongs one of the fried tortillas (that was put on the paper towels) and dip it in the green salsa that was heated.
- Put in a baking dish the fried tortilla with salsa and put over the tortilla some of the cheese strips that were cut.
- Roll the tortilla as taco or fold it as quesadilla; then set aside.
- Repeat the same procedure with the other 9 fried tortillas. Upon completion if there is green salsa remaining pour it over the enchiladas.
Bake and Garnish the Enchiladas
- Preheat the oven to 355º F.
- Put in the oven the baking dish and leave the green enchiladas with cheese baking for about 10 minutes, until the cheese has melted.
- Take from the oven the green enchiladas with melted cheese and put over them the following ingredients:
- 1/2 cup of Mexican Cream.
- The Onion that was minced.
- Sprinkle the Coriander that was minced.
- The Lettuce strips that were cut.
|Preferably put the ingredients in the same order as given so the enchiladas come out beautiful.|
Recommendation: If you feel that the enchiladas are spicy you will need a Mexican drink.
Variation: If you liked the idea of melting the enchiladas’ cheese, you also have to try the famous Swiss enchiladas.
Did you like the Cheese Enchiladas?
Other Mexican Recipes that you will Like
☀ Cream of Corn Soup
☀ Shrimps a la Vinaigrette
☀ Tuna Salad
☀ Beef Burrito
☀ Fried Chicken Tacos