Home >> Salsas and Dips >>
The mole is one of the most recognized Prehispanic delights in the world for its delicate aroma and intense flavor – result of the mixture of many spices along with fundamental ingredients, that give the consistency and smoothness to the salsa. It is one of the most representative dishes, from the fusion of cultures and cuisines , that has taken place in Mexico.
This dish is without a doubt one of the culinary jewels from the state of Oaxaca and in turn is one of the most elaborated and complex mole preparations where the most amount of ingredients are used .
The combination of such ingredients’ variety sweet, salty, crispy, acidic, spicy, etc. Provide a delicious salsa , full of flavors and aromas; that transports us with every bite to other times.
It really is a unique experience to enjoy the process of preparing the black mole, which can be used in a good family celebration. Serve over some pieces of cooked chicken or turkey and accompanied by rice and freshly made tortillas.
About the Recipe
- This recipe is very elaborated and you have to pay a lot of attention due to the large amount of ingredients that are used. The good thing is that much technique is not needed but it does require patience.
- In this mole the chilhuacle pepper is used that is difficult to find. If you are not lucky substitute it for 3 ancho peppers and 3 guajillo peppers.
- The original recipe is prepared with lard but it can be substituted for vegetable shortening.
- The peanuts that are used in this recipe should not have salt nor any flavoring.
- The black mole preparation will take you 1 hour 15 minutes.
- The recipe yields 8 portions.
DirectionsFry the Plantain
- Peel 1 plantain.
- Slice the plantain that was peeled, then reserve.
- Melt in a frying pan over medium heat 1 tablespoon of lard.
- Incorporate in the frying pan the plantain slices that were cut and fry them for about 2 minutes, until they are lightly fried and soft; stir regularly.
- Transfer from the frying pan to a blender, with some tongs, the plantain slices that were fried; then set aside.
Fry Many Ingredients part I
- Remove the seeds and the veins of 2 dried chipotle peppers, 4 ancho peppers, 6 chilhuacle peppers, 6 guajillo peppers, 8 pasilla peppers and 12 mulato peppers. Upon completion discard the veins and reserve the chilies and the seeds.
- Melt in the frying pan over medium heat 2 tablespoons of lard.
- Incorporate in the frying pan all the chilies with the ones you worked and fry them for about 2 minutes, until they are lightly fried; stir regularly.
- Transfer from the frying pan to the blender, with the tongs, all the chilies that were fried and reserve.
Fry Many Ingredients part II
- Melt in the frying pan over medium-low heat 2 tablespoons of lard.
- Add in the frying pan:
- The Chilies’ Seeds with the ones you worked.
- 1/4 cup of Almonds.
- 1/4 cup of Peanuts.
- 1/4 cup of Walnuts.
- 1/4 cup of Pumpkin Seeds.
- Mix the frying pan ingredients and fry them for approximately 1 minute, until they are lightly fried; stir regularly.
|In this step it is look for the seeds to release their oils so the mole has the best flavor.|
- Transfer from the frying pan to the blender all the ingredients that were fried and reserve.
Roast Many Ingredients
- Put on a griddle over medium heat:
- 1 Maize Tortilla.
- 1 Avocado Leaf.
- Roast the griddle ingredients for about 40 seconds per each side, until they are moderately roasted.
- Transfer from the griddle to the blender, with the tongs, the tortilla that was roasted and reserve the avocado leaf that was roasted.
- Put on the griddle over medium heat:
- 6 Tomatillos.
- 3 Tomatoes.
- 1/2 Onion.
- 3 Garlic cloves.
- Roast the garlic cloves for about 2 minutes, the tomatillos for about 4 minutes and the tomatoes and the onion for about 5 minutes, until all the sides of all the ingredients are moderately roasted; move them regularly with the tongs.
- Transfer from the griddle to the blender, with the tongs, all the ingredients that were roasted.
Blend almost All the Ingredients
- Also add in the blender, along with the other ingredients:
- 1/4 of Bolillo Bread.
- 4 Cloves.
- 1 Cinnamon branch.
- 3 tablespoons of Sugar.
- 1 tablespoon of Oregano.
- 1 tablespoon of Thyme.
- 1/4 tablespoon of Marjoram.
- 1 teaspoon of Cumin.
- 1 cup of Chicken Stock (1/4 qt).
- 5 Black Peppercorns.
- Blend very well the ingredients and reserve.
Cook the Mole
- Melt in a saucepan over low heat 3 tablespoons of lard.
- Incorporate in the saucepan:
- The Mixture that was blended.
- 1 Chocolate tablet.
- 5 cups of Chicken Stock (1¼ qts).
- Mix the saucepan ingredients and cook them for about 6 minutes, until the chocolate has dissolved; stir regularly.
- Add in the saucepan:
- The Avocado Leaf that was roasted.
- 1 tablespoon of Salt.
- Mix the black mole and cook it for about 30 minutes, until it thickens a little and acquires a more intense and bright color; stir occasionally.
- When the cooking is done discard the avocado leaf.
Lots of Work
but Lots of Flavor
Tip: When the black mole is served it can be garnished with lightly roasted sesame seeds, it will look delicious.
Variation: The yellow mole is other of the famous 7 moles from Oaxaca it is spicy, sweet and very aromatic – you cannot miss it.
Did you like the Black Mole?
▲ Grilled Steak
▲ Steak with Onions
▲ Chicken Adobo
▲ Pork Picadillo