Home >> Salsas and Dips >>
Machito Pepper Salsa
with chilaca pepper
The chilaca pepper is a long and thin chili of dark green color, that is grown and is consumed especially in the Lowland and Michoacan. It has an excellent flavor and sometimes is very spicy. Although in this machito pepper salsa, the chilaca pepper is roasted and is combined with tomato, onion and more ingredients – that give a lot of freshness and a medium spiciness.
This salsa is a type of pico de gallo , which means that you will see all the ingredients diced and it can be used in the same way in which you use the pico de gallo. Is perfect for accompanying any appetizer or some Mexican dishes like: fried tacos , molletes, beef tacos , etc.
About the Recipe
- In this recipe the chilies go through an interesting process but nothing is difficult of making.
- The recipe is prepared with chilaca pepper, pick the ones that are smooth and bright because those are the ones that have better flavor.
- Among the ingredients that are used is the red onion and don’t substitute it for white onion because is not as crispy nor as fresh as the red.
- 20 minutes are enough for this recipe to be ready.
- Yields 3 cups of salsa.
DirectionsRoast the Chilies
- Put on a griddle over medium heat 6 chilaca peppers and roast them for about 2 minutes, until all their sides are moderately roasted; move them regularly with some tongs.
- Transfer from the griddle to a plastic bag, with the tongs, the chilaca peppers that were roasted.
- Close the plastic bag where the chilaca peppers were put and leave them resting for about 15 minutes, until the bag sweats.
While the Chilies Rest...
- Dice 1/2 red onion and 3 tomatoes. Upon completion put them in a bowl and reserve.
- Verify that the plastic bag where the chilaca peppers where placed has sweat, if not leave them resting for a longer time.
- Take from the plastic bag the chilaca peppers and remove them the burned skin, the veins and the seeds.
|Don’t rinse the chilaca peppers to remove them the burned skin because they will ruin.|
- Dice the chilaca peppers with the ones you worked, then pass them to the bowl.
- Also add in the bowl:
- 2 tablespoons of Olive Oil.
- Pepper to taste.
- 1/2 tablespoon of Salt.
- Mix very well the machito pepper salsa with a mixing spatula.
Fresh and Delicious
Variation: The chilaca pepper is also protagonist of the adobo cream of Guerrero , a very special adobo.
Did you like the Machito Salsa?
❢ Charro Beans
❢ Shrimps to the Vinaigrette
❢ Peasant Rice
❢ Squash Blossom Quesadilla
❢ Chicken Tostada