Home >> Salsas and Dips >>
with Altamira Peppers
The first thing that one wonders upon seeing the name of this recipe is... Can you combine a fruit like the mango with any type of chili? The next question, unless you are from Tamaulipas... Which one is the Altamira pepper?
The good news is that the mango and the chili can be combined. It is a delicious mixture because the spiciness of the chili and the sweetness of the mango are an unforgettable mixture
. We have to clarify that the “Altamira” pepper is the serrano pepper cultivated in the municipality of Altamira in the state of Tamaulipas.
This salsa is fresh
– ideal to accompany light dishes like some crab tostadas
or some fried chicken tacos.
It can also be enjoyed while eating some snack or appetizer.
About the Recipe
- In this recipe you are going to roast, blend and cut; the preparation is a bit laborious but it will come out very well.
- If you don’t live in Tamaulipas or you cannot get the Altamira peppers, don’t worry use serrano peppers.
- To make the salsa any type of mango can be used.
- In approximately 10 minutes your salsa will be ready.
- With this recipe 2 cups will be obtained.
2 Mangos (14 oz)
4 Altamira Peppers (1.6 oz)
1/2 Onion (2.4 oz)
2 Garlic cloves with skin (.1 oz)
2 Coriander sprigs (.7 oz)
1/2 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar (4.2 fl oz)
1/2 tablespoon of Salt
1 Measuring Cup
1 Cutting Board
1 Mixing Spatula
Roast some Ingredients
- Put on a griddle over medium heat:
- 4 Altamira Peppers.
- 1 Garlic clove with skin.
||If you want a milder salsa remove the seeds and the veins of some chilies.
- Roast the garlic for about 2 minutes and the chilies for about 4 minutes, until all their sides are moderately roasted; move them regularly with some tongs.
- Transfer from the griddle to a blender, with the tongs, the chilies that were roasted; then reserve.
- Remove from the griddle the garlic clove and wait for it to cool a little.
- Peel the garlic clove that was roasted, then put it in the blender and reserve.
Blend, Cut and Mix
- Scoop out the pulp of 1 mango (7 oz) and put it in the blender.
- Also add in the blender:
- 1/2 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar.
- 1/2 cup of Water (4.2 fl oz).
- Blend very well the ingredients then pour the mixture in a bowl and reserve.
- Dice 1 mango (7 oz), put them in the bowl and reserve.
- Finely chop 1/2 onion and 2 coriander sprigs; upon completion pass them to the bowl.
- Also add in the bowl 1/2 tablespoon of salt and mix very well the mango salsa with Altamira peppers with a mixing spatula.
Fusion of Flavors
Be careful this salsa won’t last
you long in the fridge due to the minced mango.
If this salsa is diluted with some vinegar it can also be used as salad
If you liked the mango’s flavor in the salsa you also have to try the Huetamo salsa.
Did you like the Mango Salsa?
Light Mexican Dishes
❇ Chicken Tacos
❇ Jicama and Orange Salad
❇ Red Rice
❇ Red Enchiladas with Cottage Cheese