Home >> Salsas and Dips >>
Pickled Baby Corn
The pickle is a way of preparing certain foods in vinegar. With the vinegar’s addition the foods preserve for a longer time and they acquire a very different seasoning. The Mexican cuisine adopted this technique from the Spaniards and has expanded it along many ingredients but in this occasion we are going to focus in the baby corns .
In this recipe the Mexican cuisine has been very cautious of not losing the baby corns’ soft flavor, when they are mixed with other ingredients. For this reason the baby corns are combined with ingredients that have soft flavors and as typical pickle is condimented with spices to obtain a very special flavor.
The final result is a delicious accompaniment that can be used in almost any dish that has beef like an arrachera , a steak with onions or a cecina. Although they can also be used as snack and even as appetizer.
About the Recipe
- This is a pickle that is moderately simple to prepare.
- We give the recipe with raw baby corns but you can also use preserved baby corns.
- Use apple cider vinegar to make the recipe because it will give a subtle flavor to the pickle.
- The preparation time is of and then the pickle is left resting for 1 hour.
- Yields 4 rations.
|If you are going to use preserved baby corns, don’t perform the first 4 steps.|
Perform some Activities
- Put in a saucepan:
- 12 raw Baby Corns.
- The enough Water to cover the baby corns.
- Bring the saucepan water to a boil over high heat.
- When it boils reduce to medium heat and leave the baby corns cooking for about 5 minutes, until they are soft.
- Remove from the saucepan, with a kitchen spoon, the baby corns that were cooked; then reserve.
|We recommend saving 1 cup of the Water (8.4 fl oz) that was used to cook the baby corns because it has more flavor and it will serve to cook the pickle.|
- Cut 1/2 onion into half moons and reserve.
- Peel 1 carrot and then slice it, then set aside.
- Heat in the saucepan over medium heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Put in the saucepan the half moons of the onion that was cut and fry them for approximately 1 minute, until they look a bit transparent; stir regularly.
- Incorporate in the saucepan the carrot slices that were cut. Mix the ingredients and fry them for approximately 1 minute, until the carrot is lightly fried; stir regularly.
- Add in the saucepan:
- The Baby Corns that were cooked.
- 2 Bay Leaves.
- 2 whole Allspices.
- 1/2 teaspoon of Oregano.
- 2 Black Peppercorns.
- Mix the saucepan ingredients and fry them for about 5 minutes, until the baby corns are moderately fried; stir regularly.
- Also put in the saucepan, along with the other ingredients:
- 1/2 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar.
- 1 cup of Water (8.4 fl oz).
- 1/4 tablespoon of Salt.
- Mix the saucepan ingredients and bring the mixture to a boil over high heat.
- When the mixture boils turn off the heat, cover the saucepan and leave the baby corns resting for 1 hour, so the flavors settle and balance.
Recommendation: You are also going to like a lot the white pickled.
Did you like the Pickle?
❊ Potatoes with Peppers
❊ Shrimps to the Vinaigrette
❊ Mexican Rice
❊ Melted Cheese with Mushrooms
❊ Chicken Tostada