Home >> Salsas and Dips >>
This recado or recaudo is a variant of the recados’ recipes that exist in the Yucatecan recipe book. The recados basically consist of mixtures of spices, fresh herbs
, sometimes chilies and some extra ingredient; that when they are ground they combine in such an aromatic paste that serves as base for the elaboration of many other dishes
– What all the recados have in common is that they condiment
foods while they are being prepared. Sometimes they are also used to stuff
a main ingredient.
This preparation is denominated “pickled” because the spices that are combined are very similar to the ones used in typical Yucatecan pickles, like the white pickled.
The pickled recado is a paste full of aromas and flavors that serves as adobo
a good piece of beef
to later grill and accompany with some delicious freshly made tortillas.
The meat is going to acquire a very special spiced flavor.
About the Recipe
- In this recipe you are only going to roast and blend; anyone can prepare it.
- We give the recipe with apple cider vinegar due to its fruity flavor that combines very well with the other ingredients for this reason don’t substitute it for white vinegar.
- We recommend using extra virgin olive oil because it will give a better seasoning to the recado.
- In less than 10 minutes the recado will be ready.
- The recipe yields 1 cup.
1 Garlic head (2.1 oz)
2 tablespoons of Oregano
1 teaspoon of Cumin
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar (8.4 fl oz)
2 tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
10 Black Peppercorns
1/2 tablespoon of Salt
1 Frying Pan
Roast the Ingredients
- Put in a frying pan over medium heat:
- 6 Cloves.
- 1 teaspoon of Cumin.
- 10 Black Peppercorns.
- Roast the frying pan ingredients for approximately 1 minute, until they are lightly roasted and they release a lot of smell; stir regularly.
||The spices are roasted to intensify their flavor.
- Transfer from the frying pan to a blender the spices that were roasted, then reserve.
- Put int the frying pan over medium heat 1 garlic head and roast it for about 4 minutes, until all their sides are moderately roasted; stir regularly.
- Remove from the frying pan the garlic head and wait until it cools a little.
- Separate the garlic cloves from the garlic head that was roasted, peel them and put them in the blender.
Blend All the Ingredients
- Also add in the blender, along with the other ingredients:
- 2 tablespoons of Oregano.
- 1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar.
- 2 tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
- 1/2 tablespoon of Salt.
- Blend very well the ingredients.
A World of Aromas
When this recado is used on a meat we recommend leaving it marinating
for about 6 hours so it absorbs all the flavor.
If you want to season fishes
or shellfishes use the spices recado.
Did you like the Pickled Recaudo?
Mexican Food with Beef
✯ Steak with Onions
✯ Grilled Steak
✯ Beef Picadillo