Home >> Salsas and Dips >>
Pickled Red Onions
What is fascinating about this recipe it that it is of Mayan origins and besides that, in this pickle the merging and the evolution of the Mexican food can be seen as the pickles are of Arab origin.
To make the recipe more interesting, as main ingredients red onions and habanero peppers are used ; which are originally from Yucatan. And to season them spices are used that were brought by the Spaniards.
There is no doubt that in this preparation you are going to taste years of history , years of evolution and years of culinary knowledge. Enjoy this pickle with typical Yucatecan dishes like the cochinita pibil, the poc chuc or over some delicious panuchos.
About the Recipe
- In this recipe there is work to do but is easy to perform.
- In this pickle fresh herbs are used, which are the parsley and the thyme. Don’t use the herbs dried because we want the herbs’ flavor to last for a long time and that doesn’t happen when they are dried.
- We give the recipe with apple cider vinegar although white vinegar could also be used.
- The pickle preparation will take you like 20 minutes. In the same way as in other pickles it is also left resting for a pair of days so all the flavors of the preparation can be appreciated.
- The recipe is for 1 cup.
DirectionsChop Some Ingredients and Fry Them
- Cut into strips 1½ red onions, then reserve.
- Remove the seeds and the veins of 2 habanero peppers, then reserve.
|If you want your pickle to come out very spicy, don’t remove the seeds nor the veins of the habanero peppers.|
- Heat in a frying pan over low heat 1/4 cup of olive oil.
- Incorporate in the frying pan the 2 habanero peppers with the ones you worked and fry them for approximately 1½ minutes, until they are moderately fried; stir regularly.
- Add in the frying pan the red onion strips that were chopped and fry them for approximately 1½ minutes, until the onions look a bit transparent; stir regularly.
Prepare the Pickle
- Incorporate in the frying pan:
- 2 Parsley sprigs.
- 1 Bay Leaf.
- 1 Thyme sprig.
- 1/2 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar.
- 3 Black Peppercorns.
- 1/4 tablespoon of Salt.
- Mix the frying pan ingredients and wait until the mixture comes to a boil.
- When the mixture boils turn off the heat and wait for the pickled red onions and chilies to cool.
- Transfer from the frying pan to a glass jar, the pickled red onions and chilies and cover the jar.
- Leave the pickled red onions and chilies resting in a fresh and airy place or in the bottom part of the refrigerator for 2 days, so the flavors and aromas are absorbed.
Full of Flavor
* Due to the use of vinegar, this pickle will preserve perfectly well for several weeks.
Variation: Now would you like to taste the pickled white onions ?
Did you like the Pickle?
❤ Green Salsa
❤ Chipotle Pepper Salsa
❤ Red Salsa with Morita Pepper
❤ Chili Water