Home >> Salsas and Dips >>
Ranch Style Salsa
– spicy and savory –
The ranch style salsa is very popular
because it is used in a very famous Mexican breakfast... the ranch style eggs.
The base of the salsa are the tomatoes that give freshness to the whole preparation. The tomatoes are also combined with chilies that give a lot of hotness to the salsa and as final touch onion, garlic and more ingredients are used – that give strength to the flavor. It is an elaborated salsa in which smoky notes can be found
due to the preparation techniques that are used, a flavor that you won’t be able to resist.
This salsa can go beyond the ranch style eggs and it can be used to season shredded beef.
It can also touch other dishes and fill them with flavor like sopes, tostadas
About the Recipe
- In this recipe there are many steps but is not complicated.
- The salsa is spicy because it is prepared with 5 serrano peppers but it can be reduced to 3 chilies and you will get a moderately spicy salsa.
- The preparation time is of 20 minutes.
- The recipe yields 3 cups.
5 Serrano Peppers (2.1 oz)
5 Tomatoes (2.2 lbs)
1/2 Onion (2.6 oz)
3 Garlic cloves with skin (.4 oz)
2 tablespoons of Olive Oil
1/2 tablespoon of Salt
1 Cutting Board
Roast and Blend
- Put on a griddle over medium heat:
- 3 Serrano Peppers.
- 5 Tomatoes.
- 3 Garlic cloves with skin.
- Roast the garlics for about 2 minutes, the chilies for about 3 minutes and the tomatoes for about 6 minutes, until all their sides are well roasted; move them regularly with some tongs.
- Transfer from the griddle to a blender, with the tongs, the chilies and the tomatoes that were roasted; then reserve.
- Remove from the griddle the garlic cloves and wait until they cool a little.
- Peel the garlic cloves that were roasted and upon completion put them in the blender.
- Blend very the ingredients and reserve.
Cook the Salsa
- Finely chop 1/2 onion, then reserve.
- Heat in a saucepan over medium heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
||It is important that the oil is hot so the ingredients that are going to be fried will not absorb as much fat.
- Put in the saucepan the onion that was minced and fry it for approximately 1 minute, until it looks a bit transparent; stir regularly.
- Add in the saucepan:
- The Mixture that was blended.
- 1/2 tablespoon of Salt.
- Mix the saucepan ingredients.
- Cook the ranch style salsa for about 6 minutes, until it thickens a little; stir occasionally.
When the salsa is served you can put some minced coriander
to give a touch of freshness
Did you like the Ranch Style Salsa?
☟ Mexican Style Eggs
☟ Red Chilaquiles
☟ Machaca with Egg
☟ Green Chilaquiles with Chicken
☟ Scrambled Eggs in Green Salsa