Home >> Salsas and Dips >>
Pico de Gallo
The pico de gallo is a very popular salsa in Mexico that could almost be considered a salad
due to the variety of raw ingredients that are used and its seasoning is so fresh and light that is transmitted to any dish where is used.
This pico de gallo
variation can be considered one of the most originals due to the interesting and diverse mixture of ingredients. As main ingredient is the tomatillo that gives an acidic and delicate flavor, that combines perfectly well with the banana pepper and the onion
. Within the preparation also the orange, the pineapple and the coconut appear – that give a sweet and fruity touch, difficult to resist.
– It is curious
but the combination of tomatillo with chili counteracts the tomatillo’s acidity and it also diminishes the chili’s hotness.
The end result is an explosion of flavors that are fresh, tropical, acidic and with the slightly spicy touch of the banana pepper
. A true delight, that can be served as snack over some tortilla chips
or it can even be served as a garnish of a grilled fish
or some shrimps.
About the Recipe
- In this recipe you will work a little but it is not difficult to make.
- In the preparation 1 orange is used, which has to be cut minutely. We recommend using a small and sharp knife for best results.
- As part of the ingredients banana pepper and pineapple is used. Buy them fresh so the final flavor of the salsa won’t be altered.
- We recommend using red onion because it will give a crispier texture and a more intense flavor to the pico de gallo.
- All the preparation will take you 15 minutes.
- The recipe is for 2 cups.
2 Tomatillos (3.5 oz)
1 Lime (1 oz)
1 Orange (8.8 oz)
1 Pineapple slice without peel nor core (3.5 oz)
1/2 Banana Pepper (1 oz)
1/2 Red Onion (2.6 oz)
1 tablespoon of Grated Coconut (.5 oz)
3 tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/2 tablespoon of Salt
1 Chopping Board
1 Balloon Whisk or Fork
1 Mixing Spatula
1 Lime Squeezer (optional)
Cut Many Ingredients
- Dice 1/2 red onion and 2 tomatillos; upon completion put them in a bowl and reserve.
- Finely chop 1/2 banana pepper, put it in the bowl and reserve.
||If you want a less spicy pico de gallo, remove the seeds and the veins of the banana pepper.
- Peel 1 orange, making sure of removing the pith, then separate the segments.
- Remove the skin and the seeds of the orange segments that were separated.
- Cut into small chunks the orange segments with the ones you worked and 1 pineapple slice without peel nor core. Upon completion put them in the bowl with the other ingredients.
- Also add in the bowl 1 tablespoon of grated coconut and reserve.
Mix the Ingredients
- Put in another bowl:
- The juice of 1 Lime.
- 3 tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
- 1/2 tablespoon of Salt.
- Beat the bowl ingredients with a balloon whisk or with a fork, until they are well integrated.
- Pour the dressing that was beaten in the bowl over the other bowl, where the tomatillo pico de gallo is.
- Mix very well the tomatillo pico de gallo with a mixing spatula.
Very Interesting Flavors
If you have pineapple
remaining it can be used in the preparation of tacos al pastor.
The pico de gallo can also be prepared in its classic
Did you like the Pico de Gallo?
➧ Tuna Salad
➧ Mixed Salad
➧ Cucumber Salad
➧ Salad in a Glass
➧ Jicama and Orange Salad