Home >> Appetizers >>
Quesadillas with Peppers
- piquant -
As you probably know, the quesadillas consist of corn tortillas folded in half, to which melted cheese is put. The quesadillas’ flavor is soft and fresh but when Poblano pepper strips are put the story changes .
*The Poblano pepper is one of the most emblematic chilies of the Mexican repertoire. It is very versatile as it combines with an infinity of ingredients. It is not particularly spicy, it is very fleshy and it has lots of flavor.
With the Poblano pepper strips the quesadillas’ flavor becomes stronger, penetrating and interesting . The curious thing about this recipe is that there is a surprise factor because the peppers can be a little spicy, which depends of the luck that you have when choosing the Poblano peppers.
Serve the quesadillas with peppers accompanied with a guacamole and some refried beans. A perfect entree to whet the appetite.
About the Recipe
- This recipe is very beautiful because you are going to prepare the peppers as the Mexican grandparents taught us, by sweating the chilies in a plastic bag. You will like a lot the preparation.
- The quesadillas are prepared with a cheese that melts. You can use Oaxaca cheese, Chihuahua cheese, Manchego cheese, etc.
- If you want to get further in this recipe prepare the corn tortillas that are used to prepare the quesadillas.
- The total preparation time is of .
- Recipe for 6 quesadillas.
DirectionsWork with the Poblano Pepper
- Put on a griddle over medium-high heat 1 Poblano pepper and roast it for about 4 minutes, until all their sides are completely black; move it regularly with some tongs.
- Transfer from the griddle to a plastic bag, with the tongs, the Poblano pepper that was roasted.
- Close the plastic bag and leave the Poblano pepper resting for about 5 minutes, until the bag sweats.
|All this ritual ;) that is made with the chili is to make it have a more intense flavor.|
- Take from the plastic bag the Poblano pepper and rinse it while removing the outer skin of the chili (the burned part).
- Discard the seeds and the veins of the Poblano pepper that was rinsed.
- Cut into strips the Poblano pepper with the one you worked and 5.2 oz of cheese that melts; then set aside.
Perform Many Activities
- Heat in a frying pan over medium heat 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Put in the frying pan the strips of Poblano pepper that was cut and fry them for about 3 minutes, until they are moderately fried; stir regularly. Then set aside.
- Heat on the griddle over medium heat 6 maize tortillas for about 20 seconds per each side, until they are soft.
- Put on each tortilla:
- Some of the Cheese strips that were cut.
- Some of the Peppers that were cooked.
- Fold in half all the tortillas that were put on the griddle.
- Heat the quesadillas with peppers for approximately 1½ minutes per each side, until the cheese has melted.
|While the quesadillas are heated they can be pressed gently so the peppers unite with the cheese and they will heat faster.|
Piquant but Tasty!
Tip: If you feel that the quesadillas with peppers are spicy a Mexican drink will also be needed.
Variations: The quesadillas can also be prepared with other ingredients like: mushrooms , huitlacoche , potato , requeson , etc.
Did you like the Quesadillas?
Other Mexican Antojitos that you will Like:
⊛ Garlic Shrimps
⊛ Pot Beans
⊛ Puebla Style Rice
⊛ Tostada of Chorizo with Potato
⊛ Fried Plantains