Home >> Salsas and Dips >>
Ancho Pepper Salsa
The ancho pepper is probably one of the 3 most used dried chilies in the families’ Mexican cuisine.
Is the dried version of the famous Poblano pepper
. It is large, dark and very utilized in soups
, broths, stews, salsas, adobos
In this preparation the ancho pepper is accompanied with garlic and it is condimented with vinegar, chicken stock and cumin.
As result a moderately spicy salsa is obtained, with a very special flavor and very aromatic
This ancho pepper salsa is perfect for putting to a grilled steak
, a steak with onions
, some tacos al carbon
, etc. In fact whenever you see beef
served on a dish go to this salsa because the flavors are combined perfectly well.
About the Recipe
- In this recipe some ingredients are roasted and then everything is blended; we are sure that you will be able to make it.
- When you buy the ancho peppers pick the ones that are large and flexible because those are the ones that have the best flavor.
- In the preparation 1 tortilla is used so the salsa has a thicker consistency or if you want 1 tostada could also be used.
- In about 15 minutes the salsa will be ready.
- With this recipe you will obtain 2 cups of salsa.
6 Ancho Peppers (2.1 oz)
2 Garlic cloves with skin (.2 oz)
1/2 teaspoon of Cumin
1 Maize Tortilla (.7 oz)
1/2 qt of Chicken Stock
1/4 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar (2 fl oz)
1/2 tablespoon of Salt
1 Cutting Board
Roast the Ancho Peppers
- Remove the seeds and the veins of 6 ancho peppers.
||If you want a more spicy salsa don’t remove the seeds nor the veins of the chilies.
- Put on a griddle over medium heat the 6 ancho peppers with the ones you worked and roast them for about 2 minutes, until all their sides are lightly roasted; move them regularly with some tongs.
- Transfer from the griddle to a bowl, with the tongs, all the ancho peppers that were roasted.
- Cover the ancho peppers that were roasted with boiling water and leave them soaking for about 5 minutes, until they are soft.
While the Chilies Soak...
Blend the Ingredients
- Put on the griddle over medium-high heat 2 garlic cloves with skin and roast them for approximately 1½ minutes, until all their sides are moderately roasted; move them regularly with the tongs.
- Remove from the griddle the garlics and wait for them to cool a little.
- Peel the garlic cloves that were roasted and put them in a blender; then set aside.
- Verify that the ancho peppers that were left soaking are soft, if not leave them soaking for a longer time.
- Transfer from the bowl to the blender, with the tongs, the ancho peppers that were roasted.
- Also incorporate in the blender:
- 1/2 teaspoon of Cumin.
- 1 Corn Tortilla.
- 1/2 qt of Chicken Stock.
- 1/4 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar.
- 1/2 tablespoon of Salt.
- Blend very well the ingredients.
The ancho pepper is very popular and there are many preparations with this chili but if you want something amazing
prepare the pickled ancho peppers.
Did you like the Ancho Pepper Salsa?
More Mexican Recipes
❤ Red Rice
❤ Mexican Style Eggs
❤ Tuna Salad
❤ White Menudo
❤ Chicken Burrito