Home >> Salsas and Dips >>
Ancho Pepper and Tomatillo
The ancho pepper is probably one of the most used dried chilies in the Mexican cuisine. In reality the ancho pepper is the Poblano pepper that when it ripens it acquires an intense red color and then it undergoes a drying process. It is a moderately spicy chili that has a slight sweetness and combines in an excellent way with any dish that has beef.
As its name says... in this recipe the ancho pepper is accompanied with tomatillo – another unmistakable flavor of the Mexican cuisine. And apart from these 2 main ingredients a few more ingredients are used that help to elaborate the salsa.
When you are going to eat some tacos al carbon use this salsa to give them lots of flavor and freshness. The salsa can also be used to put to a grilled steak or a cecina and don’t forget to incorporate on the plate a white rice and some potatoes with peppers – you will have a very Mexican plate.
About the Recipe
- This recipe is a bit laborious but is not complicated.
- Pick the ancho peppers that are large and flexible because those are the ones that have better flavor.
- About are needed to make the salsa.
- With this recipe you will obtain 2 cups of salsa.
DirectionsWork with the Chilies
- Remove the veins and the seeds of 4 ancho peppers.
- Put on a griddle over medium heat the ancho peppers with the ones you worked and roast them for about 2 minutes, until all their sides are lightly roasted; move them regularly with some tongs.
- Transfer from the griddle to a bowl, with the tongs, the ancho peppers that were roasted.
- Cover with boiling water the chilies that were put in the bowl and leave them soaking for about 5 minutes, until they soften.
While the Chilies are Ready...
- Put in a saucepan:
- 10 Tomatillos.
- The enough Water to cover all the tomatillos.
- Bring the saucepan water to a boil over high heat and leave the tomatillos cooking in the boiling water for about 5 minutes, until they turn to a lighter color.
|Don’t cook the tomatillos for a long time because its skin breaks and its flavor becomes bitter.|
- Transfer from the saucepan to a blender, with the tongs, the tomatillos that were cooked; then reserve.
- Verify that the ancho peppers that were left soaking are soft, if not leave them soaking for a longer time.
- Transfer from the bowl to the blender, with the tongs, the ancho peppers that were left soaking; also add:
- 1 Onion.
- 3 tablespoons of White Vinegar.
- 1/4 tablespoon of Salt.
- Blend very well the ingredients.
Recommendation: The ancho pepper is a very popular chili and there are many recipes in which is used... but a very amazing preparation are the pickled ancho peppers.
Did you like the Ancho Pepper Salsa?
Mexican Dishes with Beef
✎ Steak with Onions
✎ Green Enchiladas with Beef
✎ Beef Picadillo
✎ Fried Beef Tacos