Home >> Salsas and Dips >>
and Tomato Salsa
This is a salsa that is prepared with few ingredients but you will discover that few ingredients doesn’t mean “little flavor". The vast majority of the ingredients, that are used in the recipe, are roasted on the griddle to potentiate the final flavor of the salsa and to give a smoky touch.
With the combination of ancho pepper and tomato we are going to get a very good texture. You will also find in the salsa the intense and fruity flavor of the ancho pepper wrapped in the freshness and the acidity of the tomato .
This salsa is very versatile because it combines very well with almost any dish that has beef like: tacos , burritos , flutes , whatever you want. Although it could also be used in a picadillo or in some meatballs.
About the Recipe
- In the preparation many ingredients will be roasted, then everything is blended; you will definitely be able to make the salsa.
- We recommend buying large and flexible ancho peppers because those are the ones that have better flavor.
- In approximately 15 minutes the salsa will be on your table.
- With this recipe you will get 2 cups of salsa.
DirectionsRoast the Chilies
- Remove the seeds and the veins of 5 ancho peppers.
|If you want to give a spicier touch to the salsa don’t remove the seeds nor the veins of the chilies.|
- Put on a griddle over medium heat the 5 ancho peppers with the ones you worked and roast them for about 2 minutes, until all their sides are lightly roasted; move them regularly with some tongs.
- Transfer from the griddle to a bowl, with the tongs, all the ancho peppers that were roasted.
- Cover the ancho peppers that were roasted with boiling water and leave them soaking for about 5 minutes, until they are soft.
While the Chilies Soften...
- Put on the griddle over medium heat:
- 3 Tomatoes.
- 1/2 Onion.
- 2 Garlic cloves.
- Roast the garlics for approximately 1½ minutes, the onion for about 2½ minutes and the tomatoes for about 5 minutes, until all their sides are moderately roasted; move them regularly with the tongs.
- Transfer from the griddle to a blender, with the tongs, all the ingredients that were roasted; then reserve.
- Verify that the chilies that were left resting are soft, if not leave them soaking for a longer time.
- Transfer from the bowl to the blender, with the tongs, the ancho peppers that were soaked.
- Also add in the blender 1/2 tablespoon of salt and blend very well the ingredients.
and full of flavor
Suggestion: If you want to give a spiced touch to the salsa, you can add 1/2 teaspoon of oregano.
Variation: The ancho pepper salsa can also be made with peanuts.
Did you like the Ancho Pepper Salsa?
✰ Rice Pudding
✰ Cream and Honey Fried Plantains
✰ Sweet Carrot Salad