Home >> Salsas and Dips >>
Dried Chilies and
in the world can boast of such an extensive salsas’ recipe book as the the one of the Mexican cuisine.
This is partly due to the large quantity of fresh chilies and dried chilies that Mexico has. In this way a wide range of combinations of ingredients can be created, that generate a broad diversity of salsas.
In this recipe we will combine 3 types of dried chilies: the ancho, the guajillo and the cascabel. Each one gives different flavors and aromas but they are complemented in an exceptional way with the softness and subtleness of the cream
The salsa is not very spicy because the dairy products always help to attenuate the chili’s hotness. It is an extraordinary recipe that can be used to accompany a grilled steak
, a grilled chicken
breast or a grilled fish.
It can even serve you to season a white rice
or some fried potato tacos.
These are just some few combinations but also experience more ways of tasting the salsa.
About the Recipe
- In this recipe you are only going to fry and blend... is very easy to make.
- If the cream is prepared at home, your salsa will have a more natural flavor.
- You will need 10 minutes to make the salsa.
- The recipe yields 1½ cups.
4 Ancho Peppers (1.4 oz)
1 Cascabel Pepper (.1 oz)
1 Guajillo Pepper (.3 oz)
1 cup of Mexican Cream (8.4 fl oz)
1/2 Onion (2.6 oz)
3 tablespoons of Olive Oil
1/2 tablespoon of Salt
1 Frying Pan
1 Cutting Board
Fry the Chilies
- Remove the veins and the seeds of 1 cascabel pepper, 1 guajillo pepper and 4 ancho peppers.
||If you want to give more hotness to the salsa don’t remove the veins of the cascabel pepper.
- Cut into small chunks all the chilies with the ones you worked and 1/2 onion, then reserve.
- Heat in a frying pan over medium heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Put in the frying pan all the small chunks of the chilies that were cut and fry them for approximately 1½ minutes, until they are moderately fried; stir regularly.
- Transfer from the frying pan to a blender all the small chunks of the chilies that were fried, then set aside.
Fry the Onion and Blend the Salsa
- Heat in the frying pan over medium heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Incorporate in the frying pan the small onion chunks that were cut and fry them for approximately 1 minute, until they look a bit transparent; stir regularly.
- Transfer from the frying pan to the blender the small onion chunks that were fried.
- Also add in the blender:
- 1 cup of Mexican Cream.
- 1/2 tablespoon of Salt.
- Blend very well the ingredients.
Soft and Spicy
If you liked this salsa you also have to taste
the serrano pepper and cream salsa.
Did you like the Dried Chilies Salsa?
More Mexican Recipes
❧ Beef Burrito
❧ Blue Tortilla
❧ Scrambled Eggs in Green Salsa
❧ Corn Soup
❧ Vegetarian Green Pozole