Home >> Salsas and Dips >>
The marrow is a greasy substance that has a whitish color, that is located within the bones of the animals. It has a lot of nutritional value and its flavor is soft and special. It is used in many cuisines around the world, mainly to season soups.
In this recipe the marrow is used to give an interesting flavor to the salsa and it also serves to give a thick consistency. The marrow is also going to be mixed with chili, tomato, onion and more ingredients that will generate a salsa that has an elaborated and different flavor .
The marrow salsa is perfect to put to a grilled steak or to some tacos al carbon. But it can also be enjoyed in a very simple way that consists of putting it in some tortillas , in this way you will be able to perceive all the flavor of the salsa.
About the Recipe
- The preparation of this salsa is laborious but your effort will be rewarded.
- The mellow is obtained from the bones of the animals. Use beef bones in the recipe because they are high in marrow.
- The long bones are the ones that have more marrow.
- We give the recipe with the beef bones cut into chunks because they are very difficult to cut. Preferably order them cut at the butcher shop, they have to be cut lengthwise.
- In 35 minutes the salsa will be ready.
- The recipe is for 2 cups.
DirectionsBake the Bones
- Preheat the oven to 390º F.
- Put on a baking tray 2.2 lbs of beef bones with marrow cut into chunks. The bones have to be put with the marrow upwards.
- Put in the oven the baking tray and leave the bones baking for about 25 minutes, until the marrow is soft.
While the Bones are Ready...
- Remove the veins and the seeds of 3 ancho peppers.
- Put in a saucepan:
- The Ancho Peppers with the ones you worked.
- The enough Water to cover the chilies.
- Bring the saucepan water to a boil over high heat and leave the chilies cooking in the boiling water for about 5 minutes, until they are soft.
- Transfer from the saucepan to a blender, with a kitchen spoon, the chilies that were cooked.
- Also add in the blender:
- 2 Tomatoes.
- 1 Onion.
- 1 Garlic clove.
- Pepper to taste.
- Blend very well the ingredients and reserve.
Cook the Salsa
- Verify that the bones that were left baking have the marrow soft, if not leave them baking for a longer time.
- Take from the oven the baking tray and wait for the beef bones to cool a little.
- Remove from the beef bones, with a spoon, the marrow and put it in a saucepan.
|Don’t throw away the bones because they can be used to prepare a broth.|
- Melt over low heat the marrow that was put in the saucepan.
- Incorporate in the saucepan:
- The Mixture that was blended.
- 1/2 tablespoon of Salt.
- Mix the saucepan ingredients and cook the marrow salsa for about 5 minutes, until it thickens a little; stir occasionally.
A lot of Flavor
for your Dishes
* This salsa will last about 5 days in the refrigerator.
Did you like the Marrow Salsa?
Mexican Recipes with Beef
✢ Beef Burrito
✢ Beef Picadillo
✢ Green Enchiladas with Beef