Home >> Salsas and Dips >>
It is normal that in a country, as Mexico, that has thousands of miles of coastline and oceans full of richness, that the shellfish are a very important ingredient of its cuisine.
The situation of the Mexicans is that they love to put salsa to all the dishes to give them a formidable flavor. And some of those salsas specialize in some foods like the Mexican style shellfish salsa. In this salsa you will find a lot of hotness, a lot of aroma and a very spiced flavor . This combination is perfect to enhance the shellfish’s flavor, it definitely is the best way of accompanying the shellfish.
This salsa is not applied while the shellfish are prepared because it will lessen their flavor. The way of using it is more simple, just put it on the table and use it in dishes that have shellfish like the crab tostada , the ceviche , the shellfish soup , etc.
About the Recipe
- Although you will see many ingredients in the preparation, the recipe is easy to make.
- In the preparation fish stock is used and if a homemade fish stock is used the salsa’s flavor will improve a lot.
- It is important to use apple cider vinegar to make the salsa because it combines better with the other ingredients.
- The total preparation time is of 15 minutes.
- The recipe yields 2 cups.
DirectionsFry the Chilies
- Remove the veins and the seeds of 8 serrano peppers; then reserve.
|If you want a very spicy salsa don’t remove neither the veins nor the seeds of the chilies.|
- Heat in a frying pan over medium heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Add in the frying pan:
- The Serrano Peppers with the ones you worked.
- 4 Arbol Peppers.
- Fry the frying pan ingredients for about 3 minutes, until they are lightly fried; stir regularly.
- Transfer from the frying pan to a blender all the chilies that were fried.
Blend and Cook
- Also add in the blender, along with the other ingredients:
- 1/2 teaspoon of Marjoram.
- 1/2 teaspoon of Oregano.
- 1/4 teaspoon of Cinnamon.
- 1/2 cup of Fish Stock.
- 2 tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar.
- Blend very well the ingredients.
- Put in a saucepan:
- The Mixture that was blended.
- 3 Cloves.
- 1 Epazote sprig.
- 1 Bay Leaf.
- 1/2 tablespoon of Salt.
- Mix the saucepan ingredients and bring the Mexican style shellfish salsa to a boil over high heat.
- When the Mexican style shellfish salsa boils reduce to medium heat and cook it for about 4 minutes, until it thickens a little; stir occasionally.
- When the cooking is done discard:
- The 3 Cloves.
- The Epazote sprig.
- The Bay Leaf.
Aromatic and Spicy
Recommenadtion: A Mexican salsa that contains the shellfish’s flavor , the dried shrimp and chipotle pepper salsa.
Did you like the Shellfish Salsa?
Mexican Main Courses
♆ Garlic Shrimps
♆ Pork Picadillo
♆ Octopus Ceviche
♆ Fried Potato Tacos
♆ Achiote Shrimp Brochettes