Home >> Salsas and Dips >>
Northern Green Salsa
This is another more variation of the numerous versions that exist of the popular Mexican green salsa. This recipe comes to us from the state of Chihuahua, they may not have a very extensive cookbook but their dishes with beef are very abundant, therefore the recipes of salsas that are used to season them are also very abundant.
This recipe of green salsa is very similar to the original, the difference is that lard is used to fry and in this way the salsa acquires a very special flavor . Other preparation techniques are also used because the tomatillos are cooked and the chilies are roasted – in this way a very interesting combination is generated.
The northern green salsa is used to accompany the famous beef or chicken mixiotes. It can also serve you to put to some beans or a rice or to any food that lacks freshness, hotness and seasoning.
About the Recipe
- In this recipe you are only going to perform simple activities.
- It is very important to use lard in the recipe and don’t substitute it because is the ingredients that gives the northern touch to the recipe.
- The preparation time is of 20 minutes.
- The recipe is for 2 cups of salsa.
DirectionsCook, Roast and Blend
- Put in a saucepan:
- 10 Tomatillos.
- The enough Water to cover the tomatillos.
- Bring the saucepan water to a boil over high heat and leave the tomatillos cooking in the boiling water for about 5 minutes, until they turn to a lighter color.
|Don’t cook the tomatillos for a long time, because its skin breaks and its flavor becomes bitter.|
- Transfer from the saucepan to a blender, with a kitchen spoon, the tomatillos that were cooked; then set aside.
- Put on a griddle over medium heat 2 jalapeno peppers and roast them for about 3 minutes, until all their sides are moderately roasted; move them regularly with some tongs.
|If you want to decrease the hotness of your salsa, remove the seeds and the veins of the chilies.|
- Transfer from the griddle to the blender, with the tongs, the chilies that were roasted.
- Also add in the blender 1 onion, blend very well the ingredients and reserve.
Cook the Salsa
- Melt in the saucepan over medium heat 1 tablespoon of lard.
- Add in the saucepan:
- The Mixture that was blended.
- 1/2 tablespoon of Salt.
- Mix the saucepan ingredients.
- Cook the northern green salsa for about 10 minutes, until it thickens a little and acquires a more intense color; stir occasionally.
Flavors from the North
Variation: The green salsa can also be prepared with avocado.
Did you like the Northern Salsa?
More Mexican Recipes
♤ Blue Tortilla
♤ Black Bean Soup
♤ Chicken Salpicon
♤ Ranch Style Eggs