Home >> Salsas and Dips >>
With a flavor like forest , land and rain – the mushrooms grow in-between the earth and the tree trunks to become the main ingredient of innumerable Mexican dishes. Typical of the summer days as it is the rainy season in Mexico and it is when a lot of mushrooms can be found in the markets.
In this occasion we are going to prepare an exquisite pickle of mushrooms. Which mainly consists of a mixture of mushrooms and chilies . Also many more ingredients are used, that serve to give more aroma and flavor to the pickle. And as a good pickle the strong and special flavor of the vinegar cannot be missed.
Before serving the meal put the pickled mushrooms on the table center and a basket with bread. Nobody can resist this combination. These mushrooms can also be served accompanying a grilled steak , a cecina or a chicken in adobo.
About the Recipe
- In this recipe many things will be done, they are not difficult to perform but you will do many things.
- The pickled mushrooms can be prepared with any type of mushrooms.
- As in all the pickles aromatic herbs are used. In this case we are going to use marjoram, thyme and bay leaves – which we recommend using them fresh because they have more aroma and more flavor.
- We give the recipe with apple cider vinegar because it is more subtle, although white vinegar could also be used.
- The preparation of this recipe will take 45 minutes and then the pickled mushrooms are left resting for 8 hours.
- This recipe is for 3 cups.
DirectionsCook the Mushrooms
- Rinse 17.6 oz of mushrooms.
- Cut into strips the mushrooms that were rinsed.
- Put in a saucepan:
- The strips of the Mushrooms that were cut.
- The enough Water to cover the mushrooms.
- 1/2 tablespoon of Salt.
- Bring the saucepan water to a boil over high heat.
- When it boils reduce to medium heat and leave the mushrooms cooking in the boiling water for about 20 minutes, until they soften.
While the Mushrooms are Ready...
- Slice 1/2 onion, then set aside.
- Cut 2 jalapeno peppers length wise, then reserve.
|If you want your pickled mushrooms not to be that spicy, remove the seeds and the veins of the jalapeno peppers.|
- Verify that the mushrooms that were left cooking are soft, if not cook them for a longer time.
- Transfer from the saucepan to a colander the mushrooms that were cooked and remove the water excess; then set aside.
Fry some Ingredients
- Heat in a frying pan over low heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Incorporate in the frying pan:
- The Onion slices that were cut.
- The Jalapeno Peppers that were cut.
- 4 Garlic cloves.
- Mix the frying pan ingredients and fry them for about 2 minutes, until the onion looks a bit transparent; stir regularly.
Prepare the Pickle
- Add in the frying pan, along with the other ingredients:
- The Mushrooms that were cooked.
- 3 Marjoram sprigs.
- 3 Thyme sprigs.
- 2 Bay Leaves.
- 1½ cups of Apple Cider Vinegar.
- 2 teaspoons of Sugar.
- Mix the frying pan ingredients and bring the vinegar to a boil over high heat.
- When the vinegar boils reduce to low heat and leave the mixture cooking for about 20 minutes, until it thickens a little.
- Turn off the heat and add in the frying pan:
- 2 tablespoons of Olive Oil.
- 1/2 tablespoon of Salt.
|More oil is added after cooking so the pickle keeps its consistency. And also the salt is added after the cooking so the mushrooms don’t lose liquid.|
- Mix the pickled mushrooms, wait for them to cool and transfer them to a large glass jar, with a kitchen spoon. Upon completion close the jar.
- Leave the pickled mushrooms resting in a fresh and airy place or in the bottom part of the refrigerator for 8 hours, so the flavors and aromas are absorbed.
The Delicious Flavor
of the Mushrooms
* If you store the pickled mushrooms in the refrigerator, we recommend to take them out 2 hours before consuming them as the oil becomes jelly .
Tip: This pickle can last up to 2 months.
Variation: Now try the pickled chipotle peppers.
Did you like the Mushrooms?
The Mexican Soups
◈ Shrimp Chilpachole
◈ Tortilla Soup
◈ Cream of Corn Soup
◈ White Menudo
◈ Lima Soup