Home >> Salsas and Dips >>
Pasilla Pepper Salsa
This salsa is special because is very versatile and because it has very good flavor . The pasilla pepper provides a flavor that cannot be found in many chilies because it is intense, toasted, slightly spicy, it has some sweet notes and the most amazing is that it has chocolate touches. This such a complete flavor when is combined with the acidic and fresh flavor of the tomato generate an unforgettable salsa.
To give more presence to the salsa a few more ingredients and some spices are used – that help to give it more flavor and they also aromatize it. The tomato and pasilla pepper salsa can be used in various dishes like quesadillas , tacos , tortas, etc. It is also excellent for bathing stews with pork , chicken or beef. In fact it can also be enjoyed in a very simple way, accompanying some fried tortilla chips.
About the Recipe
- Although there are different steps to follow, the preparation of this salsa can be considered simple.
- Pick the pasilla peppers that don’t have transparent parts because this indicates that they are not in a good state.
- In the preparation chicken stock is used and if you prepare it the flavor will be much better.
- The total preparation time is of 25 minutes.
- With this recipe 3 cups of salsa are obtained.
DirectionsRoast some Ingredients
- Remove the veins and the seeds of 4 pasilla peppers.
|The veins and the seeds are removed so the salsa has better texture.|
- Put on a griddle over medium heat the 4 pasilla peppers with the ones you worked and roast them for approximately 1 minute, until all their sides are lightly roasted; move them regularly with some tongs.
- Transfer from the griddle to a blender, with the tongs, the pasilla peppers that were roasted; then reserve.
- Put on the griddle over medium heat:
- 2 Tomatoes.
- 1/4 of an Onion.
- 1 Garlic clove.
- Roast the garlic for about 40 seconds, the onion for about 2 minutes and the tomatoes for about 5 minutes, until all their sides are moderately roasted; move them regularly with the tongs.
- Transfer from the griddle to the blender, with the tongs, the ingredients that were roasted. Blend very well the ingredients and reserve.
Cook the Salsa
- Heat in a saucepan over medium heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Incorporate in the saucepan:
- Strain the Mixture that was blended.
- 2 Cloves.
- 1/2 teaspoon of Cinnamon.
- 2 cups of Chicken Stock.
- Pepper to taste.
- 1/2 tablespoon of Salt.
- Mix the saucepan ingredients and bring the tomato and pasilla pepper salsa to a boil over high heat.
- When the tomato and pasilla pepper salsa boils reduce to low heat and cook it for about 15 minutes, until it thickens and acquires a more intense color; stir occasionally.
- When the cooking is done remove the 2 cloves.
Aromatic and Savory
Variation: Now try a different version of the tomato salsa when it is prepared with serrano pepper.
Did you like the Tomato Salsa?
✵ Horchata Water
✵ Spiced Coffee
✵ Cantaloupe Water